Here is a yummy little recipe we like to whip up for breakfast, especially during the fall and winter months. Our little apple tree has a handful of apples that are just about ripe and I can’t wait to use a couple in this breakfast cake.
- Cake Batter:
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup sour cream (not fat-free)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup flour
- 3/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 medium apples, diced
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 Tbl butter
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter an 8" baking dish.
- For the cake batter: Beat the butter and brown sugar together until light and fluffy. Add the egg and beat until combined. Add sour cream and vanilla extract and beat until incorporated well.
- Mix together the flour, cinnamon, baking soda and salt together in a separate bowl. Add to the other mixture and combine well. Fold apple pieces into batter and pour into baking dish.
- For the topping: Mix all 4 ingredients together in a small bowl with a fork until crumbly and sprinkle over cake batter in pan.
- Bake in preheated oven until toothpick comes out clean, 30-35 minutes. Cool before serving.