Most commercial chest rubs contain petroleum jelly which is a by-product of oil refining. Petroleum jelly was originally found coating the bottom of oil rigs. I’m not sure about you, but that is not something I want to be slathering on myself or my little one.
For that reason, I make and use this homemade chest rub for my family. I love being able to control the ingredients and high quality, therapeutic-grade essential oils can do amazing things for the body. This chest rub is 100% natural, a MUCH safer alternative to a petroleum based product and, it works!
- 1/4 cup + 3 T organic, unrefined coconut oil
- 2 T beeswax pellets
- 20 drops Eucalyptus Radiata essential oil
- 20 drops Rosemary essential oil
- 10 drops Peppermint essential oil
- 10 drops Lavender essential oil
- Note: I only use and recommend Young Living essential oils. Quality matters when you're putting a product on your family. Make sure you're using a high quality, therapeutic-grade essential oil.
- In a double boiler, melt coconut oil and beeswax over low heat.
- Remove from heat when fully melted.
- Add essential oils, mix well and pour into containers. Let cool before capping.
This recipes makes enough chest rub to fill a 4 oz. jar (glass recommended) PLUS 2 lip balm tubes. Having it in lip balm tubes is great for anyone who doesn’t like getting products like this or lotion on their hands (like my husband!).
In addition to the chest, we use this rub under the nose and on the throat. It works just as you would expect it to and knowing and using high quality ingredients can make you feel good about using it.
The information contained in this post is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent a disease and is intended for informational purposes only.